Thursday, March 19, 2015

188. Dagupan Day 2

Sunday, more unpacking, meeting patients who were scheduled for the next day.  Like last year, local residents had screened patients. There are three waiting for us.  I'm working with a recently retired German-born, Canadian-trained ob-gyn.  I will do one case, she the other two, but we cancel one who probably has metastatic cancer and we'd like to talk with a local oncologist before accepting her has a patient.  A local oncologic surgeon, a luxury most of these trips don't have.

When I first heard that another ob-gyn had signed on, I felt some regret, knowing that would cut my productivity by half--I know, sounds like I'm trying to build up points for the platinum trophy. But really, I'm just trying to make best use of my time.  Having two of us in Cambodia worked well, one of us operating, the other screening, but here screening is already done

My new partner expects we will be working together.  In her home practice, she assisted her partners and vice versa.  I explain that we have residents to assist here and she appears to be okay with that.  In the end I'm happy she's here.  We consult with each other and can be around for difficult cases.

1 comment:

  1. As always, I really enjoy reading about your work in other countries! I think you probably have enough points already for the trophy though, maybe you're up to earning some candy to fill it ;).

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive