Thursday, January 22, 2015

185. OPS

78 year old Mildred presented with an abnormal vaginal discharge. Premenopausal vaginal glands are active,yielding a white mucoid discharge, but after the menopause these glands become less active, so the normal would be a scant discharge or none at all. The malodor bothered Mildred the most.  The exam was normal as were the lab evaluation of obtained samples.

When I advised her of these results by email, she replied:

"Thank you for the follow up. I guess I will continue to be a water waster and enjoy lots of showers and baths. I wish there was something else to do. I've been comfortable with my body most of my life. This whole adventure has been miserable, embarrassing and depressing."

Although science appears to support an "old people smell," this is unlikely to be what's happening here.  After all, OPS exists in the nose of the beholder, not the beholden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive