Saturday, September 8, 2012

120: INS

Round One
At 30 weeks Ines asked me to write a letter to the INS asking that her husband be given a visa so that he could travel from Mexico to be with her for the delivery.  I have no problem with that, so letter composed and sent. I don't know her immigration status, but since she is openly petitioning the INS, I would assume she is a citizen, or has a green card.

Round Two
A few weeks later she tells me that the INS denied her request, observing that she could simply return to Mexico. So she asks me to write a second letter recommending against air travel. I agree, though I'm on shaky grounds; there is no generalized recommendation against air travel for pregnant women at any gestational age. Some airlines require a doctors note if past 36 weeks, and of course there can always be case by case exceptions, for example, a pregnancy at risk for preterm labor.

Round Three: stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive