Friday, February 25, 2011

68. Bedside Manner

Experts tell us that sharing personal experiences improves our "bedside manner."   My recent experience with this advice:

Sheila talked about her addiction to peanut butter: "I start out thinking I'll have just a half-sandwhich, then before I realize it, I have finished one and started another."  I said the same thing happens to me and then added, "It has be crunchy of course."  "Of course." I then said something about how peanut butter has probably been a major factor in her remarkably good health at age 74.

Teresa mentioned how much she likes Dr. Pepper: "When I want a shot of caffeine, I grab a diet Dr. Pepper; that seems to do the trick. "Without doubt," I said, "the best diet soda." Then a description of how she lobbied to have DDP in the office coke machine.  One line was allotted, always the first to empty.  Later I went down to the clinic's employee lounge.  The two rows reserved for DDP were empty.  All the other rows in the machine were full.

Is anyone out there paying attention?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive