Friday, February 19, 2010

37. In My Country, Part III

After our discussion about the Prenatal Risk Screen, S asked me to evaluate the recent onset of leg pain. It seems that several years ago in Peru she received an injection of silicone into her buttocks for cosmetic reasons. S has a normal weight and body shape; I'm not sure and didn't ask the exact location and rationale behind the injection. Anyway, she reports past episodes of this leg pain which her doctors attributed to the spread of the silicone into her thigh, with relief obtained by injections of steroids and/or antibiotics.

Today she has a 4 by 6cm firm, mildly tender swelling on the lateral right thigh, with just a blush of erythema (redness). There are no breaks in the surrounding skin that would suggest an infectious process. I have no idea what this is, but will obtain an ultrasound. Either that or tell her to take a couple of tylenol and see me next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive